Diary of a Demented Store Owner

Monday 27 February 2012

FYI

I had a comment posted to a blog entry we did a couple of years ago (there's dedication from a new reader!). It's somewhat insightful but as it was posted to such an old entry, the likelihood of anyone seeing it is doubtful.  As such, we are posting it here (unedited) for your consideration-

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Another Open Letter From Mikey In The First Person...": 

I run a stained glass shop within driving distance of Bullseye. A previous manager of my shop was contacted a while back by a Bullseye Rep. and was asked where he normally get his Bullseye glass from. He told them who his supplier was and they came back and said that they could sell Bullseye directly to us at 30% less than we were paying at our supplier. We would have to carry ONLY Bullseye fusible. No Spectrum, no Uroborus nothing. I think that it is pretty bad business to shoot your distributors like that. My shop is also within driving distance to Bullseye. Now Bullseye will sell directly to the public at amazing discounts. How are retailers supposed to compete with that? My shop still carries Bullseye but it's not a priority. On the other hand, I do my best to stock all of the system 96. Spectrum has as many distributors as they will ever have in the different regions and they do not sell directly to the public. I like Bullseye glass but Spectrum cuts a lot nicer and there are some great options in opals, cathedral, wispy and confetti. As a company, I have no respect for Bullseye.
In case you haven't heard, Wissmach has begun producing a line of System 90 compatible. I have tested it and it is really nice. And it considerably less expensive than Bullseye. 

No comments: