Diary of a Demented Store Owner

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Bullseye Glass

Wow, we sure didn't expect our little post about Bullseye to cause such waves as it did.

Let's recap:
Bulleye's only distributor in Canada announced last week that they will no longer carry Bullseye Glass. 
That means no more catspaw opals, no more streakies, no fracture/streamers, and most importantly, no more fusible glass. 
All we did was post that fact on our blog.

A couple of days later, Bullseye issued the statement copied below:
"To our friends and customers in Canada,
We recently learned that a glass distributor in the Toronto area has announced that they are no longer carrying Bullseye Glass products. That’s too bad and we’re sorry to see them go. Fortunately, Bullseye Glass continues to be readily available across Canada.
We recommend these three suppliers who welcome your business:"
They then list off the three businesses.

So is Bullseye still 'readily available across Canada'?
We did some asking around. 
Not really.
Oh, sure if you want just the rudimentary stuff like common colours of sheet glass, nothing too out of the ordinary. but need some of the less popular stuff? 
Not likely.

You see, Bullseye is sort of right, but they are not really being totally forthright.
It seems that yes, you can get some of their product according to Bullseye at these three places that they promote as legitimate suppliers (which leads me to ask why you would want to be a reseller of Bullseye when Bullseye would rather sell to your customers themselves instead of you, I don't know, but I digress).
But hey wait a minute. 
Are these guys really full-line suppliers? Is Bullseye really 'readily available'?
Not really.
Sure they carry some Bullseye. Heck they might even special order all the stuff they don't carry if you're willing to wait a month or two. What these suppliers really are is one dealer and two teaching centres and not full line suppliers and therefore carry only a portion of the Bullseye line (something we know all too well having been a dealer for over a decade). No dealer could afford to carry every item Bullseye makes. That's actually the responsibility of the full-line distributors. And that's ok, because while distributors have higher buying requirements to assure a good support base of supplies, they also get much better pricing to compensate this. But that's how and why we used to be able to get everything Bullseye produced so readily.
But now, we no longer have the benefit of a full line distributor as Bullseye neglects to mention. 
But Bullseye seems to think that's ok, not to worry, there are three other sources to buy from. So maybe we should look at those three suppliers then.
Two of the three are what Bullseye calls 'Bullseye Kiln-Glass Resource Center Preferred Partner'. This means that these shops were given a Bullseye dealership along with some preferred pricing.
But, get this- they are not allowed to carry any other glass than Bullseye. 
No Spectrum Sys96. No Uroboros fusible glass. I know, hard to believe, and these businesses are owned by what I thought were entrepreneurs.
What if you want some Sys96? You got to go somewhere else. Is that right? How does that help the market when a supplier forcefully limits free choice?
So, sorry Bullseye, we still say that Bullseye Glass is not 'readily available across Canada'.
Think we will have a wee dram of some Oban Scotch and commiserate that fact...

16 comments:

Doris said...

that a boy Mikey...cut thru the eh, how shall I say it, 'fine print' and get to the truth!!!

Anonymous said...

It's ok, I don't need to buy from the three suppliers Bullseye promotes. They don't have hardly anything (unless you need Tekta in 10" squares). I'll just buy direct from Bullseye. At least they are a full line supplier. Hate to be a BU dealer today with them selling direct as aggressively as they do

Tamara said...

I've got lots of choice of BE glass enven "some" of the fancy stuff and irids ETC. I clearly don't have everything and I only carry a little bit of each. One sheet of this and one sheet of that ETC. I do buy Tekta by the 24 inch case.

Too bad for you guys I'm on the West Coast. Sunlight Art Glass.

Pretty sure that BE is perfectly happy to sell direct and likes it that way. Thier excuse for not advertising stores like me in Canada is pretty lame.
Cheers, Tamara

Anonymous said...

I agree with your last comment- if I were a Bullseye dealer today and Bu chose to promote only three dealers to the exclusion of others I would be very upset

Jayne@ Fired-Up! Glass Arts said...

Really? I carry pretty much everything that Bullseye sells. Not only in 10 x 10's. Why would you need any other glass when Bullseye has the biggest palette of color & mixing and matching of reactives gives a much bigger picture of what you need. Perfectly happy here in London selling Bullseye Glass only.

Anonymous said...

...not according to my enquiry last week which I quote your response to me here-
'Please find the attached inventory cost:Please note not all of this is in stock. I would have to order it in. If you wish to have this picked up please email a response & I will get all the product in for you. I know that you also need system 96. We do not stock that product at all. .j.
jayne @ fired up glass arts, the hottest studio in town!!'
Nevertheless, I went to Fantasy In Glass and got most of my order filled there including all the Sys96 I needed that you don't carry.
Steph

Anonymous said...

Hey Jayne.
How do you feel about BU selling to both you AND your customers?

Anonymous said...

Sorry jane but saying BE has a bigger palette is no longer true! The sys96 line with glass from uroboros and spectrum along with their collage glass, fusers reserve, spirits, opalarts and cheap machine made clears in several thicknesses and textures now rules the roost. I'm tired of hearing this from BE sellers unchallenged. Besides, the ENTIRE SYS96 line is available RIGHT NOW at almost any reasonably stocked retailer, and if they don't have it, it is only a moment away from being brought in from the 'full line distributor', unlike BE which seems to always be on 'special order for delivery pending'
Sign me
Without Malice

Anonymous said...

I agree with Without Malice 100%.
and for jane to say stuff like Bullseye's 'mixing and matching of reactive glasses' (whatever the hell she means by that I don't know- she referring to quality of the reactions, or the quantity of glasses that give reactive results she neglects to say) if it's quality and quantity then BU again is easily outpaced by Sys96.
JIFOS
(guess)

Anonymous said...

Talk about the arrogance! Fired Up brags about carrying everything, then admits they don't have everything that 'Steph' ordered (?). Then compounds their falseness by admitting they do not carry any Spectrum fusible. How can you be a fusing supplier while refusing to carry fusing supplies from anyone but Bullseye?
And how about selling your soul to get Bulleye to the exclusion of any worthy competitors? Really?

Anonymous said...

Thought I might take a Look at Jayne's website given her rant above. Here's something cut and pasted direct from her mission statement-
'We also believe that you do not have to go everywhere to pick up your supplies. If we teach it we provide the materials necessary. You do not have to shop all over town!'

Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

Also, another quote,'Our beliefs... we are dedicated to encouraging creativity'

Hahaha

Mikey Figgy said...

Seems we hit a big sore spot here. Lot's of frustration boiling under wrt Bulleye and their actions in the free market.

Anonymous said...

very disappointed to not see any rebuttals from jayne...

Anonymous said...

Easy...easy now....rebuttals are expensive these days now that pricing for silicone has one through the roof

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you Mikey! I've been using Bullseye glass since 1996, when it was the only fuseable glass out there. I consider myself to have loyalty to companies and to people. It's sick shame that Bullseye can't have any loyalty to their ORIGINAL customers- the distributors and the retailers.
I have now owned my own retail glass store for six years and they have done NOTHING for me, except take my customers from me!!! So, isn't it nice of them- they use us when they only had distributors and retail shops to help them educate the public about THEIR glass, then sell to us and NOW when they are sitting pretty- they cut at at our throats and go directly, selling to our customers.
Oh, yeah, and they wanted to me to ONLY carry Bullseye glass-- NO other glass!!! Oh and did I mention that they wanted me to sign a contract to do this!! I don't think so!!!!