Diary of a Demented Store Owner

Thursday 24 January 2008

It Makes No Sense At All

Just picked up some Taurus 3 Bandsaws today at our one and only Canadian stained glass distributor. While our dollar has gone up significantly in the last six months theoretically making American goods cheaper, our Canadian supplier has raised the cost of this saw again. Now, I'm not supposed to tell you how much they cost us up here from our sole Canadian supplier because they would rather make you believe that it's us, the retailer, not them, that's taking advantage of the market, so I'll just tell you that...
Anything in Stained Glass in New Jersey sells them for $336.99 U.S., Nickates for $379.99 U.S., Maple City for $335.00 U.S., Ameriglass for $334.75 U.S. Now, remember, they buy them for for less than that and still make a profit at these prices. Our cost is in excess of 'three figures' more than what these retailers are charging at retail.
Now, like the last time I went on this kind of rant, I'm guessing I'll get a phonecall, trying to get me to keep quiet about these things. This time, rather than phone, this blog has the capability to accept comments...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought it was only me with feelings of WOW!for the only cdn wholesaler of stained glass supplies...could they give any less of a s*it about retailers? someone said that i should start making my own glass; to which i spewed my shot of tequila- yah, and i should start growing C-notes too!

Anonymous said...

You're telling me that your supplier charges you over 100 bucks wholesale more than what we can buy a saw for at retail in the States! You either put a fair markup on the saw and sell zero, or add twenty bucks and go poor trying. I guess the wholesaler doesn't care so long as he keeps making the big money selling them to you.

Anonymous said...

Want to buy from the U.S. but aren't sure how much it will cost when it arrives? Then check this website out- it tells you with up-to-date calculations taking into account the value of the canadian dollar, and so on-http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/