Diary of a Demented Store Owner

Saturday 2 June 2012

Is It Just Me?

Or is everyone getting old?
Today marks the 45th anniversary release of The Beatles‘ seventh album, 1967′s ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’
Out on June 1, 1967, ‘Sgt. Pepper’ would draw the line between the past and the future. It was where pop and rock and roll became “rock,” and when 33 & 1/3s overtook 45s, as the significance of the single bowed down to the artistic statement of the album. It was the day that popular music became 'art'. It also became the day that Mikey threw out his Neil Sedaka CD's before they were even invented (talk about being ahead of his time!) and thought up the great idea to use the CD case as a copper foil dispenser!
The greatest album ever made? It did lead to the invention of the CD dispenser. Could it get any better?

3 comments:

Doris said...

Beatles..........YUK!! Yes I went to the fleapit (that was our movie theatre in Port Credit) to see HELP and I actually screamed...but give me the Rolling Stones anyday!!

Mikey Figgy said...

I publish this comment with extreme prejudice,
Figimodo

Wine Guy said...

Thanks Mikey. The Beatles any day over the Stones. Both have had their music hold up over all these years, but give me John, Paul, George and Ringo any day.

45 years!? OMG I remember heading to my local Woolco to get this album on my bike, rushing home with it under my arm, slitting the plastic cover and playing the record for hours. One of the few albums I have on CD (and of course the album sounds much better.

Oh, I still have my Neil Sedaka records somewhere..